9.14.2005

les franzia

So classes have started and all that. I’ve taught a little bit too, but it just doesn’t feel like things have really started yet. I have yet to shake the feeling that this is either 1) A study abroad program where they really don’t expect you to do anything much or 2) An internship with pretty much the same premise. It feels like I’m interning for Bordallo again—I spend my days checking my email repeatedly and reading about random topics that I never knew I always wanted to know about. Scientology for example. I’d write more, but I think they’d sue me or raid my house. Really, it’s a concern.

Evenings and weekends have been fairly busy though. We JETs in the area tend to hang out together in our free time a lot, like marathon-style a lot. Especially during weekends. I’d imagine it’s something reminiscent of the Nicholas 207 folk, but we don’t actually live together. Also there’s less Franzia-pong and far fewer nights end with Lauren streaking the living room solo.

And speaking of Franzia, I saw some a few weeks ago. I really didn’t think that Japan would have Franzia, but oh yes, it was there, sitting on the shelf of a big convenience store chain. I almost didn’t see it though because, unlike the Franzia I’m familiar with, this Franzia was in a BOTTLE. Amazing, yes I know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Elle said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for letting me know about your blog. I'm curious as to what your Japan experience will be like, as many claim that each individuals' experiences vary.

Awesome you have a car, and even better that you are expanding the social network, as being a gaijin can sometimes get lonely.

As for the 1st year students asking you about "kinky," I think they ask because there's a J-Pop group there called the Kinki Kids, spelled in just that way. For Japanese English, non-native speakers think the word kinky means cool, with really no sexual connotations.

Omoshiroi, ne?

Anyway, let's keep in touch via remote means.
Take care and all "zat."

6:34 PM  
Blogger Ms Elle said...

P.S. ---> What is Franzia? Never heard of it.

6:36 PM  
Blogger jen said...

hmmm, didn't even think to connect the kinki kids with the comment. i like your explanation better, i'll take it!

Franzia is a sweet nectar, an alcoholic drink that is extremely affordable. It is most commonly presented in the boxed-variety, hence leading to my amazement at the discovery of a bottled version.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo hiss, Franzia is born in boxes not bottles. You have some bizzaro land faux Franzia on your hands.

7:16 AM  
Blogger jen said...

i agree about the scientology thing, the more i know the more disturbing it gets.

the question is--would franzia, by any other container, taste as sweet?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home