9.05.2005

conversion

So I just heard from a student that classes might be canceled tomorrow because of the typhoon that’s in the area. Griffin’s already got classes canceled tomorrow because the typhoon is heading straight for Kyushu (Southern island of Japan), or so I have gathered from trying to read Japanese weather websites. Of course after I tried to read the Japanese websites, I resorted to looking at pictures, skillfully figuring out the typhoon’s general vicinity by the presence of the big circle over Kyushu. Thankfully, typhoons and hurricanes on maps look exactly the same in any language.

I don’t think the typhoon is too strong, but of course my knowledge of this is dependant on my skills at converting kilometers per hour to miles per hour accurately. It’s been a bit of a challenge for us American JETs to convert the measurements here. I’ve resorted to thinking that anything above 30 degrees Celsius qualifies as ‘hot’ and 27 degrees Celsius and below is ‘cool’. Being that it is the summer and my town is nestled between mountains though, I haven’t had much use for my knowledge of ‘cool’ weather. If it does get cool if you are in Japan though, do not be afraid of not knowing what the weather is like since everyone and their mother will tell you about the weather. Repeatedly. I believe this is particularly poignant during the summer months when greetings of ‘atsui ne?’ (hot, isn’t it?), atsui (it’s hot.), and atsui yo (it’s hot!) will be awaiting you at every corner. I must admit I’ve fallen into the habit a little bit though, makes me feel more local.

I’ve also had to utilize my conversion skills while driving. I just got my car on Friday. It’s red and small, but it’s got a CD player and it was very cheap so I love it. My general rule for converting speed limits:
40km = slow.
50km= still pretty slow.
60km= lucky me!
80km= probably as good as it’s going to get.

Converted, 40km is about 25miles. 60km is about 35miles. 80km is about 50miles.
Honestly, most of my town (maybe all) is 40-50km/hr. I didn’t think I could find a place with a lower average speed limit than Guam, but here I am.

Of course, there is some logic behind the low speed limit. Roads in Japan tend to be narrower. Oh and if you are driving in rural areas (read: my town and most of Japan), there tend to be little gutters that occasionally pop up (frequently), servicing as wonderful little ditches for your car tires. I haven’t yet had the pleasure of such an experience, but I have been warned repeatedly and it does not sound like an easy situation to absolve.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kudoson your acquisition of a new car. I hope everything is ok over there.

But I'm not surprised about the kinki bit they are 9th grade boys after all.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DRIVING already!?!?!
wow. i can't believe you can drive on the other side just like that already.


HA. and the gutters. woo.
tight corners with lovely mirrors to help.
i still don't think i want to drive over there.
i'd leave it to my aunts and uncles.

12:19 PM  
Blogger jen said...

tad, yeah i know. i'm surprised i'm driving over here, too. you can get your international driving permit without taking any tests actually, from Guam anyway. then you can drive for a year as long as you have your driver's liscence at home.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool, I didn't know you had a blog =D

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...And She Was Always Down. I miss you Jen =(

11:20 AM  
Blogger jen said...

aww kare, hope everything's all right, all that LSAT/GRE stuff must be pretty rough. i'm missing the nicholas crew from japan as well, looking forward to your visit :)

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jen! I'm thinking of you from the Big Apple. We'll talk soon, I swear.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Check your email, scooter man lives.

7:01 AM  
Blogger jen said...

awesome! yeah, this year there was no beer-drinking dog at my party, but old gramps-scooter is much better!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home